Originally an agricultural settlement, the early homes were farms in the Merrill's Corner section, hence the town name. In the 1800s, the establishment of water-powered industries along the Cocheco, Ela and Mad Rivers caused a population shift with the present downtown area evolving near these rivers. The subsequent construction, in 1849, of a railroad through the mill area brought further prosperity and cemented the location of the town commercial center. In the early days this business area was referred to as "The Dock" or "Puddledock," a name which endures today on the masthead of the local newspaper, The Puddledock Press.
The Puddledock Press is published monthly by the Puddledock staff. To have an item of local interest considered for publication, submit it to:
The Puddledock PressLetters to the Editor are welcome and will be printed at the discretion of the Editor, space permitting. Letters published are not necessarily the opinion of the staff.
370 Main Street
Farmington, NH 03835
Advertising in the Puddledock Press
For advertising rates and information, please email Stan at FarmingtonNHHistory@gmail.com.
The Puddledock Press is now uploaded on Scribd. http://www.scribd.com/FarmingtonNHHistory
Past Issues Archived on Scribd